To best understand a Leave Letter is to break it as Letters written for asking Leave from any Organization/ Workplace/ Educational Institute which involves human labor. Leave Letters are meant to convey someone’s unavailability for an event. What is an event a day/date/time when the person is expected to be present? Break from everyday routine or a schedule is termed as absent and to document the unavailability with reason is a Leave Letter.
Leave Letters are organization-specific, the types of leaves, the number of leaves an employee is entitled to use depends on the policies of the company. On the other hand in educational institutes, attendance is monitored by the percentage of attendance. Therefore, the format of leave letters differs for employees and students like sick leave application for office, leave of absence letter, leave letter to principal, casual leave letter, half-day leave application, marriage leave application, these titles are for a purpose but when writing the leave letter the role of the writer and involvement decides the leave letters body.
As we go into detail about writing a leave letter we need to know the types of leaves and the eligibility.
Broadly the types of leaves any person is entitled to throughout the lifetime are:
- Casual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Privilege Leave / Paid Leaves / Earned Leaves
- Bereavement Leave
- Maternity Leave / Paternity Leave
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Childcare Leaves
- Marriage Leaves
- Loss Of Pay Leaves
- Compensatory Leaves
Writing a Leave Letter has the following parts and important considerations.
- Sender Name/ Address – The writer of the letter, who is applying for leave. He has it as planned leave or unplanned write the letter, for planned leaves, he is asking approval for his prior commitments post-dated, Unplanned leaves which were taken on the unpredictable ground also require approval for processing so that is backdated.
- Receiver’s Name/ Address – The recipient of the letter or the address of the Letter.
- Date – The Letter date.
- Subject – Write Leave Request type and dates.
- Salutation – Write humble and polite calling words.
- Body – Introduce yourself and mention the type of Leave and dates of leave the application intends. Mention the reason and joining back details, designation of work if any.
- Thanking Note – Write the gratitude and expectations.
- Contact Details – Contact details for any other information.
Leave Application Letters are a record keeper for both employer and employee, the payroll is dependent on this, the wrong deduction in salary and arrears require to leave letter backup.
Likewise in Schools/ Universities leave applications back in attendance record and decide the eligibility for exams etc.
Leave letters commonly used are, leave letter for fever, leave extension application, annual leave application letter, health issue leave letter, bereavement leave letter, leave without pay letter, rejoining letter after leaving in office, vacation leave letter sample, casual leave application for urgent work, unpaid leave letter, personal leave letter, three days leave application, stomach pain leave letter, a day off request letter sample.
Writing a Leave Letter is simple, knowing the leave letter format and sample is the key. The two most important elements are the type of Leave and the number of days/dates. Let’s learn how to write a good Leave Letter, understand how to write a leave letter, how to write a sick leave letter, how to write an application for leave in the office, how to write a leave letter to a teacher, how to write a leave letter in English.
Leave Letter Format/ Template –
_______ Sender’s Name
_______ Sender’s Address
Date : ___/___/___
_______ Recipient’s Name
_______ Recipient’s Address
Subject : ______ (Type of Leave ) Leave Application Request For ______ ( Days/Date ).
I write this Letter to apply for ________
Looking Forward _________
_________ Sender’s Name/Contact.
Points to Remember while writing a good leave letter –
- Mention the right Leave in reason – Always mention the type of Leave applying for.
- Planned Leaves – Planned leaves are always appreciated and welcome over unplanned and unpredictable leaves.
- Facts and documents – Attach all the validating documents for approval, Medical certificate for sick leaves, travel documents for vacation leaves, etc.
- Respect the words – Always mention the right number of dates/ days and resume on time, if you fail for any reason top up the letter.
- Availability – Always show and confirm availability or share an emergency contact detail for all the credibility.
Here are more than 20 Tags for Leave Letters. Also, find how to write School Leave, Sick Leave to Principal, Leave Letter to Boss, Leave Letter to HR Manager, and many more.