To best understand a Leave Letter is to say it as Letters written for asking Leave from any organization/ workplace/ educational Institute which involves human labor. Leave Letters are meant to convey someone’s unavailability for an event. Break from everyday routine or a schedule is termed as absent and to document the unavailability with reason is a Leave Letter.
Leave Letters are organization specific, the types of leaves, and the number of leaves an employee is entitled to use depends on the policies of the company. On the other hand, in educational institutes, attendance is monitored by the percentage of attendance. Therefore the format of leave letters differs for employees and students, sick leave application for office, leave of absence letter, leave letter to principal, casual leave letter, half day leave application, marriage leave application, these titles are for a purpose of leave but when writing the leave letter the role of the writer and involvement decides the leave letter’s body.
As we go into the details of writing a leave letter we need to know the types of leaves and the eligibility.
Broadly the types of leaves any person is entitled to throughout the lifetime are –
- Casual Leave
- Sick Leave
- Privilege Leave / Paid Leaves / Earned Leaves
- Bereavement Leave
- Maternity/Paternity Leave
- Sabbatical Leaves
- Childcare Leaves
- Marriage Leaves
- Loss Of Pay Leaves
- Compensatory Leaves
Writing a Leave Letter has the following parts and important considerations:
- Sender Name/ Address – The address of the writer of the letter, who is applying for leave.
- Receiver’s Name/ Address – The recipient of the letter or the address of the Letter.
- Date – The date on which the letter was written.
- Subject – Write the subject for the letter.
- Salutation – Write humble and polite calling words.
- Body – Introduce yourself and mention the type of Leave and dates of leave the application intends. Mention the reason and joining back details, designation of work if any.
- Thanking Note – Write the gratitude and expectations.
- Contact Details – Contact details for any other information.
Leave application letters are a record keeper for both employer and employee, the payroll is dependent on this, and the wrong deduction in salary and arrears require to leave letter backup.
Likewise in schools/Universities leave applications help in the attendance record and decide the eligibility for exams etc.
Leave letters commonly used are, leave letter having fever, leave extension application, annual leave application letter, health issue leave letter, bereavement leave letter, leave without pay letter, rejoining letter after leaving from office, vacation leave letter sample, casual leave application for urgent work, unpaid leave letter, personal leave letter, three days leave application, stomach pain leave letter, a day off request letter sample.
Writing a Leave Letter is simple, keeping the leave letter format to the point is the key. The two most important elements are the type of Leave and the number of days/dates. Let’s learn how to write a good Leave Letter, understand how to write a leave letter, how to write a sick leave letter, how to write an application for leave in the office, how to write a leave letter to a teacher, how to write a leave letter in English.
Leave Letter Format/ Template –
_______ Sender’s Name _______ Sender’s Address Date : ___/___/___ _______ Recipient’s Name _______ Recipient’s Address Subject : ______ (Type of Leave ) Leave Application Request For ______ ( Days/Date ). Dear/Respected _____, I write this Letter to apply for ________ ____________ Looking Forward _________ Yours Faithfully/Sincerely, _________ Sender’s Name/Contact.
Points to remember while writing a good leave letter –
- Mention the right type leave in reason – Always mention the type of Leave applying for.
- Planned Leaves – Planned leaves are always appreciated and welcome over unplanned and unpredictable leaves.
- Facts and documents – Attach all the validating documents for approval, Medical certificate for sick leaves, travel documents for vacation leaves, etc.
- Respect the words – Always mention the right number of dates/ days and resume on time, if you fail for any reason top up with a letter.
- Availability – Always show and confirm availability or share an emergency contact detail for all credibility.